Written by – Siyathma at OmeBiz
Uber is a platform that can be accessed via its website and mobile apps, which matches you with a nearby driver to help you get to your destination. Uber was launched in 2009 and their headquarters are based in San Francisco, California. Since then, they have spread their services to over 80 countries.
Uber was launched in Sri Lanka on the 9th of December 2015, where their services have taken Sri Lanka by storm. Uber has provided a perfect solution to the transportation inefficiencies ongoing in Sri Lanka. Currently, Uber provides services such as UberZIP, UberGO and Premier which all provide different options according to your budget. Moreover, HIRE GO and HIRE PREMIER are available for rentals for local travel.
Uber is not only available for travelling around Colombo but you could travel long distances as well using Uber Intercity, which includes a premier version as well. The fare for these services could be split equally amongst your friends by using the Split Fare feature.
Uber Business is where your business could create an account and employees would be able to access this account so that they would be able to monitor trip activity. This would enable employees to use a central payment account and request for reimbursements incurred when travelling for business matters.
What Sri Lanka can expect from Uber in the future
Uber currently has many more services that are yet to be provided in Sri Lanka;
- UberEATS – Uber will deliver your favourite foods to your doorstep with a click of a button.
- UberPOOL – This feature matches you with riders who are heading in the same direction. Which means that you could be more economical as you could share the cost.
- Uber Health – The Uber Health dashboard helps you handle everything from ride scheduling to trip analytics. Small steps have been taken to introduce Uber Health into Sri Lanka when Uber partnered with Nawaloka Hospitals on World Heart Day. If you took a ride to Nawaloka Premier Wellness Centre this meant that you were eligible to receive a free heart check-up.
- Uber Bike – You could rent an easy-to-use electric assist bike at your convenience.
- Uber FREIGHT – matches carriers with shippers which help you to instantly book the loads you want to haul.
In 2016, Uber launched their first self-driving car service. AI technology is changing everything as we know it and it will lead to the biggest innovations in the future.
Uber recently announced how they have completed over 10 billion completed trips, over 21 countries across 5 continents. Just last year it was announced that they had competed over 5 billion trips which means that it has doubled in just over a year.
Uber plans on launching Uber Air, where Dallas and Los Angeles and another International city would be the first to offer uberAIR flights, with the goals of commercial operations in 2023. This would be a huge leap into the change, which would change cities and how transportation works.
The international company has come a long way so far and it will only keep improving, bringing out the latest innovative solutions in the transportation industry.